Week 6 - Spartan Superway Internship

During week 6, I began to revise my second mount design. Instead of creating a new design, I decided to add onto a previous concept that I was provided. Because I did not know the resources we had available for processing the sheet metal into parts, I believed it would be best to work off of a previous concept that one of the mentors worked with and has knowledge of the tools available.

The design first begins with two upper and lower pieces that are made from sheet metal and will be connected with bolts at each end. In order to support the middle parts of the upper mount, I designed it to add braces made of sheet metal to support and downward forces that may act upon it. You will see in figure 2 that bolt mounts have been extended off the piece.

Figure 1: Upper mount piece

Figure 2: Lower mount piece
Figure 3: Upper and lower assembled

With the upper and lower assembled, I added simple braces made from sheet metal to support the middle sections. These braces are simply I beams created from two pieces of sheet metals bent in a U-shape, then placed back to back. They are then bolted down at the top and bottom.

Figure 4: Braces attached

Lastly, the panels can be attached in order to see how the finished product will look like. Overall I am very satisfied with this design, however changes in height will need to be made as the design of the track has changed. Once the new track assembly is available I will begin to make the necessary changes in order to accommodate the new track.

 Figure 5: Panels attached



Comments